Authorities have confirmed that at least two police officers have been shot in Louisville, Ky. on Wednesday evening as rioters flooded the streets to wreak havoc over the death of Breonna Taylor.

The wounded officers were taken to a local medical facility for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds, Interim Louisville Metro Police Department Chief Robert Schroeder stated in a brief press conference around 10 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday evening.

“One is alert and stable, the other officer is currently undergoing surgery and stable,” Schroeder told the media, adding that law enforcement has arrested one suspect.

Schroeder explained that the shooting occurred at the crossroads of First and Broadway. He was ambiguous on whether the demonstrations were directly responsible for the shootings.

“I am very concerned about the safety of our officers,” he responded to a journalist. “I think the safety of our officers and the community we serve is  of utmost importance.”

A staffer at WGCL-TV in Atlanta has reported a third officer was allegedly shot and is in serious condition. The news station is also reporting two civilian bystanders were additionally hit by gunfire.

The local branch of the FBI posted on Twitter that its SWAT team took action on the police shooting and was supporting the investigation.

Aggressive leftists showed up in hordes just hours following a grand jury bringing charges against only one of three officers implicated in the violent episode inside Taylor’s residence, with no charges involving Taylor’s demise.

Earlier on Wednesday, a grand jury reviewed evidence against the police involved in the incident and indicted one of the three officers who participated in the drug investigation that turned deadly inside her apartment. Police were looking for Taylor’s ex-boyfriend, who allegedly received illegal packages at her house but no longer lived there and was already in police custody.

On March 13 Taylor’s new boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, is said to have shot at police officers who entered her apartment. One sergeant was shot in the leg, and Taylor was killed in the crossfire while standing in the hallway, not in her bed as initially reported, according to a statement by Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron. Walker later said he thought the officers were home invaders, despite reports that the police had knocked and identified themselves.

Former LMPD member Brett Hankison was charged with recklessly firing stray bullets that supposedly struck a neighbor’s home. He was dismissed from his service in June.

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump said that the charges were “outrageous and offensive to Breonna Taylor’s memory.”

“It’s yet another example of no accountability for the genocide of persons of color by white police officers,” he expressed in a joint statement with co-counsels Sam Aguiar and Lonita Baker. “With all we know about Breonna Taylor’s killing, how could a fair and just system result in today’s decision?”

People on the streets chanted “No justice, no peace” in an outpouring of anger and frustration directed at the lack of criminal charges related to Taylor’s death. After sundown altercations between rioters and police became violent and dramatic.

Police could be seen with their weapons at the ready and proceeded to clear an intersection in the vicinity of where an officer was gunned down as fires burned on the sidewalk.

Julio Rosas, a TownHall reporter, posted a video to Twitter that he described as people attempting to set fire to the courthouse whose windows had been boarded up in preparation for the riots.

Angry people took to the streets in other cities around the U.S. as well, including New York, Chicago, Atlanta, and Washington, D.C.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *