Parler is home to over 20 million users and was first introduced in August 2018. It is now back online for users with established accounts and will be up and running to add new users at the start of next week, the company announced.
“Parler’s new platform is built on robust, sustainable, independent technology,” a press release stated.
The big comeback had its share of problems. The platform seemed to have technical difficulties after the announcement. It has been speculated some of the issues were due to a mass of users rejoining the site all at once with overwhelming amounts of traffic, but Parler has not commented at this time.
In January, Amazon Web Services pulled the plug on social media’s newcomer for what the Big Tech behemoth called a failure to moderate “egregious content” regarding the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. The decision took the site offline while Parler’s administrators looked for another hosting service.
Tech duopolies Apple and Google had already suspended Parler from their app stores as far-leftists and several media commentators applauded the silencing of an alternative social media app that prized free speech.
“We have always supported diverse points of view being represented on the App Store, but there is no place on our platform for threats of violence and illegal activity,” a spokesman for Apple said in a statement to Fox Business. “Parler has not taken adequate measures to address the proliferation of these threats to people’s safety. We have suspended Parler from the App Store until they resolve these issues.”
“We’re aware of continued posting in the Parler app that seeks to incite ongoing violence in the U.S.,” a Google spokesperson added in a statement last month. “In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the app’s listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues.”
Parler became the scapegoat for left-leaning Big Tech after the protest that went terribly wrong and resulted in supporters of former President Trump entering the U.S. Capitol, with some vandalizing the building and stealing items from inside.
A handful of screenshots from Parler were posted on other social media platforms that seem to show some users on Parler discussing intended attacks at the rally right before the Capitol was stormed, including bringing weapons and discussing how they would use them against radical leftists they might encounter in DC.
The day after Apple removed Parler from its app store, Parler’s Chief Policy Officer Amy Peikoff told Fox & Friends Weekend the app had skyrocketed to the number-one spot in the free apps section. She claimed the company was “clearly being singled out.”
“I believe we were treated unfairly,” she said.
Parler’s interim CEO Mark Meckler put out a statement after Monday’s long-awaited announcement saying, “Parler was built to offer a social media platform that protects free speech and values privacy and civil discourse.”
“When Parler was taken offline in January by those who desire to silence tens of millions of Americans, our team came together, determined to keep our promise to our highly engaged community that we would return stronger than ever,” he added.
“We’re thrilled to welcome everyone back.”
Meckler then assured their account holders that “Parler is being run by an experienced team and is here to stay.”
“We will thrive as the premier social media platform dedicated to free speech, privacy and civil dialogue,” he added.
The social media platform was welcomed by Trump supporters who were tired of being silenced by Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for not sharing the views of their progressive CEOs, as well as its promise of free speech.
The app was expected to be back online before the beginning of February but experienced some delays. A Parler source informed Fox News that the slow relaunch was caused by new branding and changes happening within the company to ensure the platform’s stability.