The agreement may be flushed out in the next few days but is still unconfirmed if it will fully put the case to rest, the Washington Post reports.
The teens are scheduled back in court on April 20 to further talk about the condition of the case, according to the outlet.
The two girls, ages 13 and 15, face charges of felony murder, carjacking, and armed robbery in the fatal attack, which they are said to have conducted near Nationals Park in the Southeast section of Washington in March.
Under the current law in Washington, the 13-year-old is unable be charged as an adult even in the case of murder, the Post reports. It is possible the 15-year-old suspect can be charged as an adult, but that would escalate the burden of proof on prosecutors, according to the report.
In the juvenile court, the stress of any consequence is completely on rehabilitation rather than punishment. A minor who is 15 can be prosecuted in adult court only with a judge’s authorization. The circumstances in which a judge would grant that approval means authorities have to show enough reason that if the case was tried in juvenile court, there would be “no reasonable prospects for rehabilitation,” according to legal sources.
The law would also take into consideration a number of factors about a 15-year-old’s background that a judge has to take under advisement before making a decision on a requested transfer to adult court.
If the 15-year-old suspected carjacker has a personal history that might justify a move to transfer her case to the adult system, it is not known to the public at this time. A DC police spokeswoman, Kristen Metzger, claimed that one of the teens is suspected of participating in another carjacking in the city, but she did not go into further details.
In juvenile court in the nation’s capital, any defendant who is found to be “responsible,” which would mean guilty in adult court, can only be imprisoned until the maximum age of 21, the outlet reports. If authorities feel a convicted minor is rehabilitated, they can be released much sooner.
Sixty-six-year-old Uber driver Mohammad Anwar died during what seemed to be an attempted carjacking last month as the pair of teens, said to have been armed with a Taser, tried to make off with the vehicle down the street, according to police.
“They’re thieves!” and “This is my car!” were some of the last words Anwar would ever be heard uttering in dramatic video footage before succumbing to his fatal injuries.
The driver, who was clinging onto his car at the time, was said to have been killed when the teens crashed, according to police.
The immigrant from Pakistan, who resided in Virginia, received a head wound and later passed away as a result of his injury, police reported.
The victim’s family stated that he came to the United States in 2014 “to build a better life for himself.”
Last Thursday, a GoFundMe was set up to raise money for Anwar’s funeral and to help support the many people who depended on him. It has already met its $100,000 goal.
“He was simply at work yesterday evening, providing for his family, when his life was tragically taken in an appalling act of violence,” a statement posted on the page read.
“Anwar was a beloved husband, father, grandfather, uncle, and friend who always provided a smile when you needed one. He leaves behind a family, near and far, who cherish, love, and miss him dearly. Words can not describe how our family is feeling currently.”
The two suspects have entered a plea of “not involved,” the juvenile court’s answer for a plea of “not guilty.”