Woman says God told her to kill sleeping granny with a hammer

A woman from Arkansas who insisted that she beat her grandmother to death with a hammer because God demanded she do so has received a 36-year sentence for the barbaric act, according to local outlets.

On Monday, Andrea Wilson, 28, entered a guilty plea to first-degree murder, tampering with physical evidence, aggravated assault, and third-degree battery in relation to the May 15, 2018 murder of Ruby Ross, her 81-year-old grandmother of Bentonville, KNWA and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported.

At first Wilson was brought up on capital charges, but her lawyer negotiated a plea deal, the Democrat-Gazette said. She will now spend the next 36 years of her life in the Arkansas Department of Corrections, accompanied by a 10-year suspended sentence when she is eventually released.

Wilson met up with Ross the day of the murder, and the two enjoyed a meal together, the report says. The old woman then went to sleep for the night, and Wilson entered her room before hitting her approximately four times with a hammer, according to the outlet, from what was explained by deputy prosecutor Joshua Robinson.

She said she performed the brutal killing because God ordered her to make a sacrifice or he would send her to hell, the prosecutor said.

Wilson said that she was under the impression that it was the final day for her to make that sacrifice.

Wilson then stashed the weapon along with some other items in a garbage bag, which she put in a building outside the property, according to Robinson.

Family members of both Ross and Wilson gave statements asking the court for mercy, claiming that Wilson’s unstable behavior escalated after her grandfather died.

“It has been almost three years and, while we know that Andrea has to suffer the consequences of her actions, we please ask for mercy,” one family member said.

The family member said that if Ross was still alive she would not want to see her granddaughter be sent to jail for the rest of her life.

“Actually, if she could manifest herself in court today she would tell you to let her go because of her complete and utter love of Andrea,” the family member insisted. “I want Andrea to know that I forgive her. She is valuable, and we still love her.”

The victim’s grandson, Gregory Wilson, said that he regarded his grandmother as the kindest person he has ever known.

“Her tremendous sense of empathy in an unforgiving world, particularly for those who were considered to have done horrible things, was always inspiring to me,” he stated. “We didn’t see that often at home, so that was perhaps one of her best lessons I gained from her lifetime of love.”

On the same day before the murder was carried out, Wilson was said to have run down a bicyclist with her vehicle as he entered at a crosswalk, KNWA reported.

The bicyclist remembered that Wilson attempted to circle back toward him, but the car hit a boulder and became trapped there, according to the station.

Then Wilson, who was said to seem normal, exited her vehicle and appealed to the victim with the question, “Can you help me?”

Later in court, she made a statement telling the bicyclist, “I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me.” 

As the investigation into the case unfolded, Wilson was subjected to numerous mental-health evaluations, according to the outlet. The tests prompted experts to disagree whether Wilson was able to comprehend the true nature of her criminal acts and adjust her conduct to conform with the law. 

She said that she had not taken her prescribed lithium the day both incidents transpired.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *